My passport has expired. How does a temporary passport work?

Some countries can issue a so called "temporary passport", but the rules differ between nations so if you plan to use a temporary passport as your ID document we recommend you conduct a thorough check regarding what is applicable for you personally and the country you are going to specifically.

General rules:

If you are an EU national you do not need to show your national ID or passport when travelling within the Schengen zone (i.e. between Schengen agreement countries), even though it's highly recommended to bring a passport or ID card with you so you can prove your identity if needed. An officially issued temporary passport would also be accepted as valid proof of identity.        

The Schengen agreement countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

When travelling to or from a non-Schengen country you must show a valid national ID or passport.

The European countries that are not part of the Schengen zone are: Albania, Andora, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Ireland, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, The United Kingdom and Vatican City. In addition to these named countries, all other non-European countries are "non-Schengen".


Please note that all national driving licenses, post, bank or tax cards are not considered an approved ID are therefor not accepted as valid travel documents or proof of identity.  

It is always you as a customer who is responsible for having the correct documentation for travel. We take no responsibility for the consequences of a passenger not having a visa or other necessary travel documents.

For passengers travelling with foreign passports, other rules might apply. It is the responsibility of the traveller to contact the respective country's embassy or consulate in the country for information.


0 out of 0 found this helpful